2015 promises to bring unique flavors and a few wedding retro arrangements to the wedding cake game. While some styles will still lean more toward the classic and romantic side, others are quite creative and out of the box. Find your own personal style in one of these 6 emerging retro trends for weddings in the Spring of 2015.
- All Things That Glitter – Sequins, glitter dust, and metallic finishes will be hot in the coming season. Think colors such as rich gold, icy silver, romantic rose gold, and deep bronze. Bling ribbon & diamond sequins can also make a cake come to life so don’t be afraid to ask about your sparkle options!
- Fluffy Ruffles – To add a feminine touch your cake try adding a tier of ruffles, or cover the whole cake. Typical eye drawing ruffles go around the cake to add texture and depth. Try using an “ombre” color palette to draw more attention to the creation. For something more modern try inverting or swirling the ruffles to give a great illusion.
- I Can’t Believe It’s Buttercream! – Rich, soft buttercream is making a comeback. Although these cakes take a bit more care and handling, their hand-sculpted appearance will bring a rustic and “made fresh” appearance to your wedding cake. Perfect for the vintage-inspired trends of 2015!
- Round Cake, Square Layers – In 2015 you can expect to see many mixed-shape tiers. We’ve been creating this style cake for years, but as the retro trends go they’re back with a vengeance. A square base may be topped with a round layer, or vice versa, to add character & depth to your cake. It gives a retro-modern twist to the traditional same shaped stacked cake.
- Be Fancy with Florals – Flowers on a wedding cake seem to be the go-to décor choice for many brides. With today’s technologies and uber-talented cake designers, we can surpass simple icing roses with exquisite sculpted sugar flowers. Best part is they’re all edible, so no worrying about pulling out petals or pollen when you serve the cake.
- Full on Flavors – The trend in wedding cakes lately has been to mix and match tiers with different flavors. For 2015 this trend will certainly keep. Brides are incorporating seasonal flavors & unique fillings to their tiers. Clean and savory combos like lemon and lavender, or a fresh and fruity guava with vanilla bean are great choices.
Whatever your theme or style choices, 2015 brings some amazing retro wedding trends and options. What’s your personal favorite?