Cooking with your kids is a great way to spend time together, while teaching them something new. If you have a budding gourmand at home, give him a chance to help out in the kitchen with these easy, childproof recipes.
Ham and Vegetable Pinwheels
Encourage your kids to eat their veggies by cleverly sneaking them into these fun tortilla snacks. They’ll love measuring out ingredients and assembling these tasty treats.
- Four 8” flour tortillas
- ¾ cup light cream cheese
- One small cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- Four large slices baked ham
- Two medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- Place the tortillas on a cutting board, spread each with about 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, and top with cucumber, ham, and tomato slices.
- Roll up each tortilla, pressing down firmly to seal them. Place the wraps, with the seams down, on a cutting board and divide each into four sections.
Tiny Pizza Pockets
Your kids will have a blast putting these little pizza pockets together. Let them flatten the biscuits, beat the eggs, and seal them with a fork.
- Fourteen ounce jar prepared pizza sauce
- One cup frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- Half a cup of two-percent shredded 3-cheese mix
- ¼ cup finely chopped pepperoni
- Two 7.5 ounce cans refrigerated biscuits
- One egg, slightly beaten, with 1 tsp. water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine one half cup of pizza sauce, broccoli, cheese, and pepperoni in a bowl.
- Flatten each biscuit into a 3-inch round circle, topping half of each with a heaping tablespoon of broccoli mixture. Fold the empty side of the biscuit over the mixture, using a fork to seal the edges.
- Place the pockets on an ungreased baking sheet, brushing each with some egg mixture. Pierce a small hole in the top of each one, and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve them with the remaining pizza sauce.
Raspberry and Nutella Sandwiches
Raspberry and Nutella are a great flavor combination, and the kiddos will have fun putting together these delicious sandwiches.
- 8 slices white bread
- One half cup Nutella
- Two 6-ounce packages fresh raspberries
- Spread Nutella on four slices of bread
- Top with the raspberries and sandwich with remaining bread, cutting each sandwich into four pieces.
Involving kids in the kitchen is fun and easy with the right recipes. While including them in snack preparation requires time, patience, and some extra clean-up, the memories you make and the culinary skills they learn are priceless.